Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Apex Of Spring

Yesterday was not the warmest day out. A quick nip in the air on a light wind sent me back to the house to change into a heavier jacket. We were harvesting and prepping for yet another market day in the village. It turned out to be a great day. Sales of veggies and starts were both brisk. We took in a couple more CSA sign ups and in general had a great day. Despite the coolness, the sun was out. It was beautiful.

Yesterday just felt different. It felt like spring. Perhaps it was the length of the day or the slight hint of warmth or the flowers and new leaves on the trees. Or maybe the radishes or the new salad greens, the first cutting of spring sown outdoor greens we've had. I can't say. It just felt like spring. Maybe the buzz in town, from both eager patrons awaiting the opening day of the farmers market or the first honey bees I've seen in a damn long time. I'm not for sure. I don't even care. Spring is here and I could not be happier.

It'll be another big field day here today. Once again, sowing, transplanting setting drip tapes, field prep and getting ready for market. We are so fortunate to be as far along as we are this year. This was a tough spring and we pushed through and never missed a beat. I would like to offer a big thank you to Katie, Justine and Laura. You are the best!

Keep well,

John

No comments: